Once the petition is filed, the Probate Court may hold a hearing on the application. Notice of the hearing will be sent to all interested parties. Additionally, per Connecticut statutory requirements, all persons applying for a change of name must be screened against both the Sex Offender Registry and Deadly Weapons Offender Registry.
Change of Name Required Forms:
- Petitions for Change of Name (Adult) PC-901
- Affidavit re: Change of Name PC-910
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of driver’s license (or photo ID such as a passport)
- Petitions for Change of Name (Minor) PC-900 signed by both parents
- Affidavit re: Change of Name (PC-910) signed by both parents
- Copy of child’s birth certificate
- Copy of driver’s license (or photo ID such as a passport) for both parents
- Payment of $250.00 is due at the time of application. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order. Make checks payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”
Notifications to be made after a name change
Social Security – Call or go online for SSA form. Applicant is able to mail completed form and original court order.
Auto Registration and Driver’s License – Applicant must appear in person at DMV with original court order.
Auto Insurance – Applicant must send a copy of court order to his/her insurance company.
Bank Accounts – Applicant must appear in person at bank(s) with original court order. Names on checks should be changed as well.
Connecticut Real Property – Applicant must obtain form from Town Clerk where property is located. Town Clerk notifies tax department. Applicant must also notify mortgage company.
Birth Certificates – Bureau of Vital Statistics will provide form which must be returned to them with original court order and birth certificate. The form is available online or the applicant may request one in writing. Applicant must send a copy of birth certificate and court order so that originals, if he/she wants, will be returned.
Other notifications –
- Stocks, bonds and other investments
- Doctors and dentists
- Credit card companies (number is available on back of card)
- Library card
- Passport (Department of State website or acceptance agents will have information)
- Other possible creditors not listed above