Connecticut residents may apply to the Probate Court or the Superior Court for a change of name or to resolve inconsistencies in identification documents.
Once the petition is filed, the Probate Court may hold a hearing on the application. Notice of the hearing will be sent to all interested parties. Additionally, per Connecticut statutory requirements, all persons applying for a change of name must be screened against both the Sex Offender Registry and Deadly Weapons Offender Registry.
Change of Name Required Forms:
- Petitions for Change of Name (Adult) PC-901
- Affidavit re: Change of Name PC-910
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of driver’s license (or photo ID such as a passport)
- Petitions for Change of Name (Minor) PC-900 signed by both parents
- Affidavit re: Change of Name (PC-910) signed by both parents
- Copy of child’s birth certificate
- Copy of driver’s license (or photo ID such as a passport) for both parents
- Payment of $250.00 is due at the time of application. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order. Make checks payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”
Notifications to be made after a name change
Social Security – Call or go online for SSA form. Applicant is able to mail completed form and original court order.
Auto Registration and Driver’s License – Applicant must appear in person at DMV with original court order.
Auto Insurance – Applicant must send a copy of the court order to his/her insurance company.
Bank Accounts – Applicant must appear in person at the bank(s) with the original court order. Names on checks should be changed as well.
Connecticut Real Property – Applicant must obtain a form from Town Clerk where property is located. The Town Clerk notifies the tax department. Applicant must also notify mortgage company.
Birth Certificates – Bureau of Vital Statistics will provide a form which must be returned to them with original court order and birth certificate. The form is available online or the applicant may request one in writing. Applicant must send a copy of birth certificate and the court order so that originals, if he/she wants, will be returned.
Other notifications –
- Stocks, bonds and other investments
- Doctors and dentists
- Credit card companies (number is available on back of card)
- Library card
- Passport (Department of State website or acceptance agents will have information)
- Other possible creditors not listed above